Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Survivor’s Story, One Year Later

The following post was written by my mother, Lorri, who survived a sudden subarachnoid hemorrhage one year ago.  I think she frequently feels alone in that she doesn’t really have anyone else to talk to about it (especially in our small town), so I suggested that she write about the experience from her perspective to see if it will resonate with any other survivors.  I am writing a follow-up post about the experience from a family member’s perspective because there isn’t a ton of information out there about SAH and how it affects all involved.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to post and I will have my mom respond.  If you are a survivor but don’t feel comfortable posting, please email me at and I will forward your message to her.  If these posts help even one person, then it’s worth our time.


Thursday, April 18, 2013 will always be vivid in my mind; a beautiful sunny morning, paycheck week, and I was finally getting a tooth extracted that had bothered me for quite some time.

It was also the day I died.

My friends and I had just gone out to the parking lot behind the medical clinic where we worked, adjacent to the hospital, to have a cigarette before lunch. I knew as soon as the sun hit my neck that something was wrong. It felt like a white-hot poker was being driven up each side of my brain stem, my blood felt like it was boiling, and I felt nauseous. I asked my friends to catch my hands and they looked at me like I was stupid.

That’s the last thing I remember about that day and many to follow. Numerous friends and family have told me repeatedly (to their dismay) about my head bouncing off the concrete. My eyes rolled to the back of my head and I wasn’t breathing.

I thank God every day that Dr. Empey was in the clinic instead of in St. George awaiting the birth of his first granddaughter as his excellent military field training made all the difference. A couple of the physicians at the clinic and the ER staff at the hospital moved me onto a stretcher and rolled me directly into the emergency room not but twenty-five yards away from where I fell. Dr. Empey intubated me as the rest of the staff tried to stabilize me. They ran CT scans and sent me off to Las Vegas via Life Flight within and hour and a half to two hours after my fall.

By 5:30pm, I was in surgery and the prognosis was grim. I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage that required immediate attention and I had another aneurysm in a different area of the brain that would need surgery at a later date when I was stronger. They told my husband to be prepared: if I lived, I might be in a coma, blind, or handicapped.

When I was finally taken back to my room after recovery, all of my loved ones were there trying to get me to awaken. I was busy with my good friend’s sister, Yvonne, who had recently died. We had been walking and she told me that I had to go back for my friend Eileen’s sake. There was no light and I didn’t see myself from above, just Yvonne telling me good bye for now. When I finally did awaken a couple of days later, my husband was telling me good night. The nurses took out the breathing tube and performed all the required neuro tests. The specialists were amazed at my recovery. I wasn’t out of the woods, but it was an excellent sign.

I don’t remember much of the next two weeks and for that, I’m very thankful. I’ve been told that I had numerous headaches and fluid on my brain that kept building up, so they had to put in a temporary shunt to help drain the fluid.

I woke up the day before the permanent shunt placement in the back of my head. I pulled through that surgery with flying colors. However, I realized that I couldn’t see out of my right eye; it looked like several hairs were covering my eye. (Consequently, I do now have peripheral vision in my right now, but can no longer read out of it.) I began rehabilitation in the hospital and I was discharged the first Friday in May.

A word of advice: you need someone to finish your buzz cut before you leave the hospital. I had longer

hair on my left side, buzzed on most of my right side, and I was totally bald where the tubes and staples were placed on the back of head. But none of that mattered- I was still here!

At first, I slept twenty out of twenty-four hours a day. Just walking or taking a shower exhausted me. When your brain says you are tired, you’d best have a comfy place to stop as you will be doing nothing until you get some rest. Also, I couldn’t remember things one day to the next, but I kept working at it and by the first of June, I was back to work for four hours a day. It was terrifying, exhilarating, and tiring all at the same time. I was unable to drive due to preventative anti-seizure medication and that simple lack of freedom increased my depression. It was difficult to see, but while I was at work I could actually focus.

When the neurosurgeon called about the second upcoming surgery, I actually thought I had a choice in the matter and hesitated. After everyone convinced me it must be done, I went in for the second coiling on August 23rd. It was a piece of cake! The neurosurgeon went up through my groin and it all went as planned. It also seemed to quell my increased crying jags.

I’m finally working seven to eight hours a day, but if I overdo it, I’m sick the next day. I’ve even had migraines, so I need to realize my limitations. My daughter gets upset with me for not realizing the severity of what happened and the fact that it’s miraculous I’m even here. I do, but it’s surreal, like a story that happened to someone else.

I always feel guilty that I don’t show appreciation more but it’s harder now. I’m not as spontaneous as I used to be and a little more timid as I’m afraid I will do or say something wrong. I don’t like to say overnight anywhere because I don’t feel secure, but I’m working on that. I will need an angiogram soon to see if coils have packed down. I was recently told I will need these procedures performed about once every five years, which was a shock to me.

For now, it’s one day at a time. I’m trying to lose the thirty pounds I’ve gained from not smoking, depression, and just from being lazy. It will take some time, but I will get it done. My strength and resolve grows more each day.

I’m so thankful for my friends and family that love me in spite of the repetitious questions, the pity parties, and the occasional rage outburst. They take it all with a grain of salt, humor, and somehow make me realize how silly I am. You can have the best physicians in the world, but without this group of loving people by your side, you have nothing.

Once the angiogram is done, I will get back with reports- hopefully all good.

Just remember to be good to yourself, take one day at a time, and act like it could be your last because it could happen at any time.





13 thoughts on “Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Survivor’s Story, One Year Later

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. It has almost been a year for me as well since I had my subarachnoid hemorrhage- May 14, 2013. My story is similar but yet so very different. It was by the grace of God that I was near a fire station and also given oxygen immediately after I fell and hit the ground. Although I had blood all over the inside of my brain I didn’t have to undergo surgery. I was in the ICU for a week at Memorial Hermann in Houston, I had several tests done and two angiograms. They did not find an aneurysm. The funny thing is that I was only 30, wasn’t a smoker and had no “behaviors” that would have put me at risk. I was exercising when it happened at a local YMCA. Being healthy is what saved my life I suppose. Now a year later, family members don’t understand my sometimes short temper, my avoidance of drama and my new perspective on life. They won’t understand because they have not been so close to death, they don’t value life the same way that we do. It is a curse and a blessing because although we take each day as a gift we can also assume that others understand or should. I truly believe that every single thing that happens in life, happens for a reason. I had no intention of writing in my blog at this very moment and then what happened- the first story in my news feed was yours.. one year later.. just like me.

    Happy anniversary.. for me next month, May 14th will be like a birthday. I can’t wait! Thank you for sharing and yes take it slow, know your limitations but also don’t stop yourself from living life. It can be scary, I have times when I am home with my kids where I feel scared thinking, “what if I collapse on the ground right here right now?” What happens if I am alone with them or walking down the street and I fall down? These are things that cross my mind but I also have to have faith that if God brought me through this first incident then he can bring me through the next. I wish there were support groups for SAH survivors because in Houston it usually is only for those who have had aneurysms and for someone like me I feel out of place because I have not had to endure a surgery.

    Stay blessed and thanks for sharing!



    1. Tanya: Thanks so much for your story; it can happen to any of us-healthy or not. It has been a year since I quit smoking; I wanted to quit before but this was a drastic way! My surgeries have definitely made a difference in my life choices. I was terrified the first time I stayed with my granddaughter overnight but thought I have to go on with some normalcy to life and ended up having a wonderful time.
      May you continue to have good health with no further complications!
      God bless,


  2. Reblogged this on Views from the other side and commented:
    Next month is my one year anniversary since my Subarachonoid Hemorrhage. I plan to celebrate it like a birthday because it truly was my rebirth. I am still amazed by God’s grace. This morning I had no intentions of writing in my blog but there it was in my newsfeed- A Survivor’s Story, One Year Later.. I was meant to read this this morning so that I could once again become centered and appreciate the blessings that I have and give to others.

    Thank you for sharing Michelle. I need to write more and I realize that.


  3. A powerful story. Please tell your mother thank you and that it wonderful that she is sharing her story. It reminds me of incidents in my life and how lucky I am and how indeed precious life is. Enjoy the rest of your week dear Michelle. 🙂


  4. Carol Hall

    July 5th 2010. I awoke with a severe headache and headed for the kitchen for painkillers. I managed to get them and a glass of water and made my way back towards my bedroom. I apparently collapsed outside my son (15) bedroom and he heard me saying ‘help me’ the last thing I remember was getting the pain killers. Luckily, it was very early morning so my son and my partner were both still at home. I was taken to our local hospital where they must have realised the severity of my condition and sent me straight to Charing Cross Hospital. I spent the next 5 weeks there during,which time I underwent the coiling process eventually when there was a bed vacant in ICU. The coiling caused a further stroke which left me with a left side haemiplegia. After the 5 weeks, I was transferred back to my local hospital where I stayed for another week before being discharged. I left hospital unable to walk or use my left arm. Luckily there was a brilliant rehab team in my borough who visited me regularly and helped me get back on my feet. My youngest son pushed me constantly to do my exercises. My eldest son and his wife were expecting a baby in the October which, apparently, I was determined to see. I was back driving and working about six months after the event. I have little or no memory of the weeks spent in hospital although friends and family still remind me that I appeared to be functioning (mentally), very well. I am as certain as I can be that my 3 sons and impending grandchild were my reason to recover. I am, six years on, a lot less tolerant of people or stupidity, drama, pettiness, noise etc. than I ever was before. I thank my lucky stars almost daily for the wonderful team at Charing Cross who got me through this even though it would seem I was quite difficult some of the time. I thank my sons for being my reason to survive. I have a second aneurysm which is monitored regularly. This knowledge fills me with horror when I think about it but I have had six years longer than I may have done without everyone who helped me through the first incident. My thoughts go out to anyone who has suffered a SAH. I feel your fear.


  5. Shari Carr-garside

    Thank you for sharing this. I too recently had a SAH. I just need to know that I can have a life again, not just be a survivor of a SAH. I don’t want it to define me as a person. I wish you well. X


    1. Thank you for your comment, Shari. My mom is doing great. I asked her if she would share more of her journey since her SAH, and she said she would write something up, so I will post it soon. Although there are some things she simply can’t do anymore due to her brain surgeries, if you didn’t know she had a SAH, you wouldn’t think anything had ever happened. Having a life again is definitely possible. You guys are both extremely blessed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s